Monday, February 4, 2013

Creating and Sharing Map Packages Using ArcGIS Online

I recently completed an assignment in my Intro to GIS course where I created and shared maps using ArcGIS online.  First I created and registered an ESRI Global account. After creating my account, I spent some getting familiar with the site.  I was given instructions on  how to access two of the sites virtual campus courses, "Authoring Web Maps Using ArcGIS Online" and "Creating and Sharing Map Packages for 10.1".  For the first course I was only required to watch two short videos that would provide help with my assignment for the second course.  For the second course  "Creating and Sharing Map Packages for 10.1" I first viewed two more videos and read two section that proved helpful as I began two mapping exercises.  The first exercise "Use and Modify map and tile packages" I created and shared a map of crags and Points of interest in Yosemite National Park. This was basically just sharing I did not really create anything that was not already included in what I downloaded.  The second exercise "Optimize a map package" build on what I learned in the first exercise. In this exercise I created a map of an area in Aquirre Springs NM, in which a study of trees in a drainage area was taking place. This time I manipulated of the elements of the map, such as scale, and symbology, and made some decisions as to what layers were included and which were not.
Although I had not previously used this program the instruction were very easy to follow, and even though at times I was outside my comfort zone I was still able to complete the assignment with few problems. I have included screen shots of my assignment.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment